Deluge Fire Protection Systems
Deluge Systems are normally used in special hazard installations where water must be applied to an entire area for protection. The arrangement of deluge system piping is similar to a wet or dry pipe system with two major differences:
- Standard sprinkler heads are used, but they are all open. The activating elements have been removed so that when the control valve is opened water will flow from all of the sprinklers simultaneously and deluge the area with water.
- The deluge valve is normally closed. The valve is opened by the activation of a separate fire detection system.
Deluge systems are used where large quantities of water are needed quickly to control a fast-developing fire. Deluge valves can be electrically, pneumatically or hydraulically operated, and often opened by a fire detection system installed in the same area.
Preaction Fire Protection Systems
Pre-action sprinkler systems are similar to a deluge sprinkler systems, except the sprinkler heads are closed. This type system is typically used in areas containing high value equipment or contents and spaces which are highly sensitive to the effects of accidental sprinkler water discharge.
The pre-action valve holds back water from entering the system until it is tripped by a separate electronic detection system. Activation of a heat or smoke detector in that separate system will open the pre-action valve, allowing water to enter the system piping. Because the sprinkler heads are closed, water will not flow from the sprinklers until heat activates the operating element in individual sprinkler heads. Basically, the automatic opening of the pre-action valve effectively converts the system to a wet pipe sprinkler system.
Flammable Liquid Handling
Storage Areas for Valuable Artifacts
High-Hazard Installations Using Water as Extinguishing Agent
- Commercial Fire Systems Installation For Tennessee
- Residential Fire Sprinkler System Installation For Nashville, Hendersonville, and Greater Tennessee
- Perform Main Drain Tests
- Check Static and Residual Pressure
- Deluge And Preaction Systems
- Fire Systems Code And Complete Testing For Fire Protection Systems